Designed in 1929 by local Baltimore architect E. Bernard Evander, this 3-bay, side-gabled 1½ story brick bungalow cottage has Tudor and Colonial revival details as evidenced by the stone foundation, stucco gable dormers and slate roof.
Connected to the agricultural and peaceful landscape of Harford County, the house is an early pre-war example of suburbanization. The current owner grew up in the house and, after purchasing it from the family estate, made plans to preserve the historic character of the house without compromising the details. The original kitchen floorplan included a pantry and breakfast nook, lost in an earlier 1970’s renovation. The owner wished to expand the breakfast area and connect to views of the landscape to the west while allowing for better access and sunlight.
The renovation includes a new kitchen, breakfast bay, new deck, rear porch and rear entry. Historic exterior architectural details of stucco, half-timbering, grouped windows and brick piers were incorporated in the new breakfast bay. Transom windows above the new exterior openings were installed to replicate the original doors. Natural materials such as ipe, western red cedar, stucco and salvaged brick maintain the identity of the cottage in the woods. The deck rail with custom cut-outs replicates an original shutter detail for added playfulness. A copper roof, gutters and downspouts provide some additional sparkle.
In the interior, the kitchen is designed and oriented to open to the garden and fields while providing for task-specific areas for prepping, cooking, and entertaining. Full height custom-built inset cabinetry, with open display cabinets, farmhouse sink, historic color palette and vintage enamel table restore the charm of 1920’s kitchen with a new life. The arched breakfast bay nook with tall casements and transoms welcomes a morning coffee with a peaceful view.